Private tour to Meteora
A private tour to the Byzantine monasteries on the geological marvel of the valley of Meteora.
Partake in a private spiritual journey to Meteora, a unique setting where natural beauty meets the union symbolized by the ecumenical. Marvel at the awe-inspiring scenery of the region and visit the Byzantine monasteries that are perched on gigantic rock pillars, rising above the edge of the plain of Thessaly. Nowadays a UNESCO World Heritage Site, Meteora's significance supersedes the material, as its biggest appeal is the feeling of solemn devoutness that overcomes every visitor. You don't need to be a recluse to achieve the enlightened feeling of piousness that you have been searching for. A visit to the Meteora monasteries might be just what you need!
Highlights: Valley of Meteora, Byzantine Monasteries, Battlefield of ThermopylaeStarting point: Your hotel in Athens Starting time: 7:15 am
Your personal driver will pick you up from your hotel in Athens, thus beginning your spiritual journey to Meteora. Driving through the scenic routes of Central Greece and Thessaly, you will get the chance to marvel at the natural beauty of the region. A calmness of spirit is bound take over you as you retrace the steps of countless pilgrims that have made the same journey over the centuries. Along the way, you will take a quick stop to see Thermopylae, the setting of Leonidas heroic stand against the Persians during antiquity.
Once we reach Meteora, you will stop just outside the valley and meet with your local guide. The majesty of nature unfolds before you as a unique geological formation of massive rock pillars rising from the fertile valley below creates an imposing sight. Amidst striking scenery, perched on those huge rocks, stand ageless Byzantine monasteries which seem to be suspended in mid-air. Sanctity oozes from every pore of Meteora and each of the six monasteries that are still in operation is a testament to the beauty of Byzantine art. Along with your guide you will explore two monasteries, learn of their history and even be able to purchase a memento of your trip.
Thoroughly fulfilled spiritually, you will hop back on your vehicle and return to Athens via the same scenic route through Central Greece.
- Operated by SpecialTy Tours
- Recommended meeting time: is 7.15.00am
- Recommended starting time is 7.30am
- Your private vehicle for the day depends on the size of your group, with a luxury car provided for 1-2 persons or minivan for 3-6 persons.
- Transportation from hotels outside the center of Athens is available at an additional cost.
- Specific outfit is required for the admission inside the monasteries. For men long pants are advised and for women, a long skirt or long dress. If you do not have one, the monasteries will provide you with a scarf to wrap around your waist.
- The monasteries do not accept cards so please have cash with you if you wish to buy souvenirs.