3 Days Delphi & Meteora Monasteries Tour
Combine two important spiritual locations in a 3 day tour to the Delphi oracle and the ageless Meteora monasteries.
This 3-day tour of the Greek mainland is ideal for those looking to augment their vacation to Greece with a dose of ancient Greek history with a pinch of spirituality. Starting from Athens, the capital of Greece, we will take the scenic route through the plains of Beotia before arriving in Delphi, known around ancient Greece as 'the navel of the world'. A town with strong ties to antiquity due to the presence of the famous Oracle, whose ruins still stand proudly. A sacred place for ancient Greeks, as they consulted the great Oracle before every major war campaign. Afterwards, you will travel to Kalambaka, a cozy town in central Greece, sitting right next to Meteora, an incredible spectacle or massive rock pillars rising up from a valley to form a truly rare sight. On top of the pillars, Byzantine monasteries have stood for centuries, adding yet another layer to the sense of wonder that fills any visitor.
Sightseeing: Delphi, Meteora, Thermopylae.
- Day 1 - Athens to Delphi via Thebes, Levadia and Arachova
We will pick you up from select spots in Athens (departure at approx 8:45) and drive through the fertile plain of Beotia, crossing the towns of Thebes, Levadia and Arachova before arriving in Delphi, the 'navel of the world' according to ancient Greeks. On the slopes of Mount Parnassus, in a landscape of unparalleled beauty and majesty, lie the ruins of the Sanctuary of Apollo Pythios. Visit the Treasury of the Athenians, the Temple of Apollo and the Museum containing such masterpieces of Ancient Greek sculpture as the bronze Charioteer. The afternoon is free to allow you to stroll through the town and explore.
- Day 2 - Delphi to Kalambaka
You have the morning free to explore Delphi and pick up mementos of your trip. Afterwards, depart for Kalambaka, passing some picturesque villages of Central Greece along the way.
Meals: Breakfast, Dinner
- Day 3 - Visit Meteora and Return to Athens
Visit Meteora, a geological marvel of vast, rock pillars rising up from the valley to create a unique spectacle that is a testament to wonders of nature. On top of the pillars, stand Byzantine Monasteries, of immeasurable historical and religious importance. Afterwards you will make your way back via Trikala, Lamia and Thermopylae (where a short stop to see Leonida's Monument across the road is in order) and finally arrive at Athens early in the evening (approx. 19:00).
Operated by G.O. Tours
- This tour includes a complimentary pick-up / drop-off service from your hotel or other predefined spots in Athens and surrounding areas. Maximum duration of this service to gather tour participants is approximately 1 hour. Thus, pick-up time may vary for each guest and will be provided during the booking process.
- Clients staying at the coast will depart for their hotels, from G.O. terminal around 19:30 hrs.
- Appropriate clothing is required to visit the Monasteries. Long skirts below the knees for the ladies and long trousers for the gentlemen. The monasteries, also, provide long skirts before every entrance. The ladies can choose and wear a long skirt over their clothing, during the tour, and return it, prior to their departure.
- The tour is usually bilingual, implemented in English and one additional language (French or Italian). For more information prior to booking, please contact us. Our agents will also inform you on the languages of the tour after booking.
You might also like